This service determines whether harmful mold is present is a home. Exposure to bacteria and fungus in indoor air has emerged as a significant health problem in residential environments as well as in occupational settings. Molds and mildews are names given to thousands of species of filamentous fungi. The molds have clusters of spores that are located on the end of tiny stalks. The spores are the reproductive product of the mature mold. The web like body, or mycelium, attaches to porous surfaces. Mycelia and spores may contain chemical compounds, some of which can be poisonous and toxic to humans. They can also create a large range of health problems depending on the exposure and tolerance of the individual. Spores pose a larger health concern because they become airborne and can be inhaled. The health related problems associated with exposure to mold range from allergic reactions, to respiratory tract inflammation and infection. Some molds can be extremely dangerous such as legionella, which is the cause of Legionnaires Disease.
Water infiltration and dampness. Mold needs moisture to grow. Houses that are sealed for long periods of time, have leaks in roofs or around windows or doors, damp basements or crawlspaces, and homes with a lot of tree cover or poor ventilation are ideal growing places for mold.